The Circle - Dave Eggers

It seems strange writing a review about this book on a reading social media site.  This book explores what the world might be like if a private company had a monopoly on all things to do with the internet -- think paypal, google, facebook, twitter et al . The Circle starts out with good intentions, yet we know that one person's good intentions is another's nightmare.  There is always a debate in my head on how much I should allow of myself to be posted on the internet and this book makes me think even harder about the slow erosion of privacy online.

“There’s this new neediness — it pervades everything,” Mercer says to Mae at one point.  “You know how you finish a bag of chips and you hate yourself?” Mercer asks Mae. “You know you’ve done nothing good for yourself. That’s the same feeling, and you know it is, after some digital binge. You feel wasted and hollowed and diminished.”

from The Circle by Dave Eggers

These lines brought chills to my spine because I have experience this first hand. There has been so much research done on how to make people more addicted to things like video games, social media etc... and it has created a world of zombies attached to their phones.  I already am hyper aware of the types of tracking a lot of apps and programs have and make sure to turn off all of this.  Now after reading this book, I plan on limiting my social media time as well.